"It's a treat being a runner, out in the world by yourself with not a soul to make you bad-tempered or tell you what to do." - Allan Sillitoe


Sunday, March 29, 2009

Friday/Saturday runs, rest day Sunday

Friday - usual recovery run, 8.5km in 47.30 with average HR 132. An effort to drag myself out of bed and felt like it was a bit harder to keep my heart rate down to its usual range this morning but the time and HR was comparable so maybe it was just my perception.

Saturday - the Pipeline revisited with Sas and Sugar. Felt a bit weary after what has been a pretty big week and this was the culmination. Sugar has the run as 33.72km @ 4.43 pace. From my watch our time to Mundaring was very similar to last time, maybe a minute quicker but we took it easier for the last 9.6km, running just over 43 minutes compared to just under 40 minutes last time. Both of our drink/gel breaks were also a bit shorter this time.

Bit of slog for me and had a tight/sore groin (left hand side) from just after Fred Jacoby Park onwards so was being pretty careful not to stretch out too much or push to uphills too hard. The slower finish helped here and after a good stretch and an anti inflammatory it feels much better although haven't been for a run on it yet (just a jog across the oval this morning when helping with football goal setup).

Was a great morning for running, moderate temperature and no wind to speak of. The pipeline is a hard run and I find the section between Fred Jacoby and Mundaring quite difficult for some reason. I can't imagine that the hills in Boston can be any more challenging than the hill up to Fred Jacoby and certainly not harder than Brooking Road a couple of weeks back but guess I will find out when I get there.

This week ended up at around 130km for me which is my peak. I can't ever see myself running much more than this per week without running doubles. Three week taper now, easing off a bit this week including the Bridges on Sunday 5 April. Will go for my long run (24km on the Monday 6th).

Most of the hard work has been done now, just need to keep focused, make sure I do enough marathon pace runs and watch what I eat as the workload decreases. Looking forward to the Bridges and hope to give my 10km PB (38.58) a bit of touch up.

No comments: