"It's a treat being a runner, out in the world by yourself with not a soul to make you bad-tempered or tell you what to do." - Allan Sillitoe


Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Recovery (Monday); Interval session (Tuesday)

Monday: Did my usual recovery run. 8.5km mostly on the grass beside the dual use path. Time 47.30, average HR 130 so it was pleasing that I was right in the middle of my usual range for this recovery run despite a pretty hard run on the Sunday. Felt guilty about not doing a warm down after the race on Sunday and didn't have a great night's sleep due to some general soreness in my legs. Glad I went out for a run though as felt fine running and much better afterwards.

Tuesday: Bailed on my Yasso 800s for a couple of reasons. Jumping fences and running around a track in the dark isn't much fun and also after Sunday's hard run, I wasn't sure that a) I could run the session as well as I had the first time I did it and didn't want to risk lowering my confidence and b) not sure that a really hard session such as that one would contribute much more to my fitness than a shorter session and would almost definitely impact negatively on the quality of some of my other workouts this week.

So, ran the same interval workout as last week being 6 x 2mins with 2 mins jog recovery between each interval. Got pretty hard about half way through the 5th interval which was the hardest of the set. Not too bad on the last one. All up with warm up and warm down (didn't push the warm up like I did last week) total was 14.75km in 1 hour 7 minutes (including an untimed toilet break early in warmup) so very similar in pace to last week's session which was 1 hour 3 minutes (without a toilet break).

No comments: