"It's a treat being a runner, out in the world by yourself with not a soul to make you bad-tempered or tell you what to do." - Allan Sillitoe


Monday, September 7, 2009

Easy aerobic run this morning - hard session at the track tomorrow

This morning I ran 14.8km in 62 mins (4.11/km pace).  Started off easy and ran moderately hard for the last 15 minutes.  Tried to rain on me and there was a little bit of a breeze (northerly?) but nothing too strong.  I ran out to the Marathon Club, back to the Causeway and then around the bridges.

Tomorrow, I am heading back to the track for another hard session as follows:

3km warm up, then 6 laps with each lap being a little faster, progression from 10km pace down to 3km/1500m pace; 400m recovery then 8 x 200m @ 5km/3km pace with 100m recovery. 2 sets then warm down. Total approx 14km

This is a Nick Bideau workout that Brad Hudson suggests in his book "Run Faster - from the 5k to the marathon".  The 200s are something I haven't done for a long, long time but they are only at 5km/3km pace so more like strides or cruise interval speed.  Not sure what to do between the two sets, maybe jog 400/800m.  I'll see how I'm feeling.

Ben's team had another win on Sunday.  After a difficult start to the season where we were clearly in the wrong grade, we have played really well in the second half of the season with our worst performance being a 3-1 loss.  Last week, when I missed the game due to the City to Surf, we won 11-0 and this week we won 7-1.  The improvement is really noticeable as the kids have a lot more confidence on the ball and are bringing their team mates into the game with some creative passing.  Much less stressful for the coach too!!  2 games to go, I hope we can maintain the standard we have set.

No comments: