"It's a treat being a runner, out in the world by yourself with not a soul to make you bad-tempered or tell you what to do." - Allan Sillitoe


Sunday, May 23, 2010

HBF Run for a Reason

Was supposed to be approx 14km but was more like 14.5km. Sugar has Map My Run plotted this at 14.54km so I’ll take that.

After very average weather yesterday, it wasn’t too bad this morning other than being pretty windy. I never really got into a group of more than two (ie me and someone else).

Met up with Sugar at the start and also saw Simon right at the start. We got a good spot at a very crowded start and got away well.

I went out fairly conservatively and I think the km markers were pretty random. I took most splits but I don’t think they are worth reproducing given their inaccuracy.

Relative to other runners who normally beat me and those who I normally beat, I think I finished just about right on (other than relative to Sugar who ran 52.03 ie more than 1km in front of me in an absolutely great run).

Looks like Simon had a good one too which bodes well for our marathon relay team, although I am clearly the weakest link.

I will put this down as a good solid run. Unsurprisingly I guess, I felt like I had good strength and endurance and finished strongly but lacked speed throughout the race. Not completely fresh despite a very easy 3 days before hand and couldn’t get above a tempo rythym and pace.

The bag collection afterwards was unfortunately a complete debacle. I was pretty lucky, it only took me 25mins to get my bag but by the time I left about 30 mins later, the crowd around the bag collection spot was 10 deep as about 30 volunteers searched for a bag each amongst the thousands of identical white plastic bags.

That would be my only real criticism other than the lack of a certified standard distance. There were lots of volunteers and the entertainment and music along the course was something different that we don’t usually get for races in Perth.

The best two moments for me were as I approached the end of the Northbridge Tunnel. They had speakers setup playing very loud music and as I approached AC/DC’s “Thunderstruck” was just starting – the intro to that song is awesome and was really uplifting at exactly the right time – pumped me up and pushed me on.

The other really good point for me was the drumming and cheerleaders at the 13km mark coming over the Causeway. I was running pretty strongly at that point and the encouragement here made me feel even better. A bit of waving and interaction with the cheerleaders was fun.

I’ll be doing this race again in the future and am looking forward to the official results and photos from this one.

It was also good to catch up with quite few runners from the Moneghetti running camp afterwards and chat about how their racing and training has been going.

No comments: