"It's a treat being a runner, out in the world by yourself with not a soul to make you bad-tempered or tell you what to do." - Allan Sillitoe


Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Back to the real world

Tuesday - Back at work as demonstrated by the fact that I was out the door at 5.57am this morning for my mid week medium long run (and am updating my blog in my lunch break). I finally got around to working out how far it is -21.5km. This morning I did it in 1 hour 38 mins including one short pit stop. Pretty cold morning and actually wore a beanie and gloves. I was very glad that I did when running along the river and particularly alongside the freeway.

I have to say though that it is not quite as enjoyable running that time of the morning when you know that you have to iron a shirt, throw down some breakfast and have a shower in a short period of time then get out the door, rather than spend the morning "recovering". I guess I better get used to it.

Monday - Got out at 6.15am for 14.8km fartlek/interval session. Session was to be 8 x 1 min @ 5-10km pace but I couldn't see my watch as it was dark. Both my running watches are on the blink in that when the light comes on the numbers go off - handy. So in the end I ran 8 x approx 1 min and made sure that it was at least a minute. Some of them were probably closer to 2 minutes. Also picked up to a moderate pace for a couple of stretches towards the end of the run. 1 hour 4 mins for 14.8km.

My Boston marathon DVD turned up in the mail yesterday so Rox, Ben and I watched it last night. The clips of me are pretty short but it is good watching the whole race with my clips mixed in. I wasn't really aware of the video cameras during the race but what I noticed watching the clips last night was how strong I was running at 30km and the finish. Rox thinks that means that I didn't run hard enough early in the race but I think it is more the case that I got my pacing pretty well right. I think there is a bit of room to increase my marathon pace over this training cycle so that I can get to halfway/30km a bit quicker and then hopefully maintain that when the going gets tough.

No comments: