"It's a treat being a runner, out in the world by yourself with not a soul to make you bad-tempered or tell you what to do." - Allan Sillitoe


Friday, October 9, 2009

Ran another 8km

This morning I ran the same 8km as I did yesterday, slightly quicker overall and slightly quicker on the MP 2km stretch.  Actually timed myself accurately this morning 4.07/4.04 for the each of the two kms.

Knee was slightly improved on yesterday but still felt a bit proppy walking downhill, although I did walk down four flights of stairs this afternoon and it felt good.  Not game to run downhill yet and will leave that for later next week I think.

Saw my physio this afternoon and had some more deep massage into the ITB which was painful but makes me feel like I am getting somewhere.  Also just spoke to my doctor on the phone.  He recommends short work only (ie 1km intervals at MP) and nothing long now to give my knee the best chance to settle down (or not flare up).  He said it sounds more promising than he thought it would be which sounds good to me too.

So tomorrow, I think I will do an easy 2km warm up, 3 x 1km @MP with 2 min walk recovery between, 2km jog home.  Nothing I do aerobically or anaerobically now will hve any effect on my peformance, I can't risk going for a longer run just for psychological benefit (although I'd love to go for 21km on Sunday) so the best I can do is remind my body what it is like to run at MP and then hope it holds up on the day. 

The main worry I have now is hills and the effect of running downhill and that's probably something I won't know until the day as I won't be testing it properly over any distance or repetition beforehand.

More physio and massage on Monday and Wednesday next week and I'll keep on with my self massage/masochism with the cricket ball.

Also thanks to Epi for sending me the pat strap - I'll give that a try from tomorrow as well.

No comments: