"It's a treat being a runner, out in the world by yourself with not a soul to make you bad-tempered or tell you what to do." - Allan Sillitoe


Thursday, October 8, 2009

Ran 8km - first run post knee treatment

Thursday - 8km in 35 mins (4.23/km pace).  Still sore in the knee - mostly it seems from the cortisone shot and the tendon needling. It's a bit bruised and tender.  Difficult to walk downhill so don't know how I could run downhill. Soreness was different from ITB soreness when I was running though . I felt a couple of twinges of ITB type soreness when I picked up pace to around marathon pace (more likely 4.10/km than 4.00/km though). Still generally sore now so don't really know where I am at as far as Rottnest goes. Ongoing assessment I guess.  The pain running today was tolerable to the extent that I think I could put up with it for a marathon as long as it didn't too much worse.

I actually woke up at 3.45am this morning and had to go to the loo.  Then I couldn't get back to sleep due to nerves about going for a run.  It was worse than before most races I have done and took me about an hour to get back to sleep.

I'm hoping that the soreness is from the the needling and that it will continue to settle down.  Would have liked to speak to my doctor today to get some advice on how regularly (and how far) I should run now that I can run again but he is not in today so will have to be tomorrow.  I think I will try to do a similar run again tomorrow.  I don't feel like I should be trying to run too far and it's too close for there to be any real benefit in any case.  I do feel like I should try to get my body used to running at the pace I would like to run the marathon at but depending on how the knee improves (or doesn't improve) I may need to re-assess my goals.

At the moment I have no idea and the spectrum of goals ranges from still trying to run 4-4.02/km average pace to 4.15/km (sub 3hr) through to just finishing.  Might have to put this one down to experience as a test of character rather than a test of how fast I can run.

I have been doing the self massage with cricket ball and rolling pin and have a physio appointment tomorrow.  I can't get in to see the massage therapist recommended by Sugar until Wednesday next week so will probably look to get another physio session maybe Monday.

No comments: