"It's a treat being a runner, out in the world by yourself with not a soul to make you bad-tempered or tell you what to do." - Allan Sillitoe


Friday, July 3, 2009

All systems go for Sunday

Two easy runs and moderate 12.8km for the second half of this week. Not sure what I am doing tomorrow yet, I'll see how I feel. It could be anything from nothing through to an easy 12.8km but most likely 5.4km with some short pick ups on the way back. I really want to be fresh for Sunday so that I can try to maintain an aggressive pace for the full run and not drift into a too comfortable tempo pace in the middle quarter. Rox thinks I should have a rest day so that I am "hungry" on Sunday. Trouble is, I'm always hungry (for food) and if I don't run, I feel like a slug.



My two recovery runs this week have been very easy with an average HR under 130. Lately I've found that I don't even have to really monitor it as I run, it has come almost second nature at that pace.



I really need to get up and move around more at work though. Even though I think my desk and PC are set up correctly, I am getting a bit of discomfort (a sort of itchy, heat) in my neck in the afternoon. I'm sure it is from staring at a computer screen all day.



I've found an interesting new blog which I will add to my list "Frayed Laces". It seems to be very popular and the girl who puts it together has posted some great info lately. The most recent post is on nutrition but she has also been to a special camp run by Brooks where they got to test some new shoes. Upcoming racing shoes from Brooks look so awesome (pictures below) that I could be tempted out of my Asics. Plus she lives in Hawaii and the scenery in her photos is always spectacular.


These shoes are called "Green Silence" - the upper mesh is made of partly recycled materials, the inks are all waterbased, the rubber outsoles are partly recycled, and the heel counter is 50% recycled CDs. In addition, the entire shoe is made with reduced solvent overlays and glues. Wearing these would be about as "green" as I'm ever going to get.

I'm taking Ben to the Supernova "geekfest" tomorrow. He is really into Japanese anime and one of his favourite voice artists will there. Don't plan on spending too long on my feet though.

Next post after the relay marathon on Sunday. I'm also looking forward to getting home that day to check out how Simon got on in the Gold Coast half marathon. I'm predicting 1.17 but think he is chance to go even quicker.

No comments: