"It's a treat being a runner, out in the world by yourself with not a soul to make you bad-tempered or tell you what to do." - Allan Sillitoe


Sunday, January 25, 2009

Shorter than normal long run

I kept to my plan of a shorter than normal long run (well shorter than I have been doing lately). Today was 25km, I ran up to the point where it is 12.45km back home and then ran back. Not sure of the actual distance overall because although I was going to run over the Causeway and through East Perth on the way out, I forgot ... and didn't remember until I was up near the Marathon Club clubrooms so continued on and ran over the far side of the railway bridge.

Pushed the 12.45km return leg quite hard and did it in 51.36 which works out to around 4.08 per km which I am quite pleased with especially having run 12 or so km first and then finding the wind in my face a bit on the way back, especially coming over the Causeway.

Got out pretty early today (well going on recent weeks early for me anyway) at about 7.45am so heat wasn't really an issue although it was bit warm in the sun on the way back. Also reprogrammed my ipod so had some of my best "running songs" to listen to - some old and some new. "Invaders Must Die" by The Prodigy is a bit of a current favourite but "Living for the Weekend" by Hard Fi is a track that never fails to give me a boost as well.

This coming week is scheduled for a tempo run on Tuesday (8km tempo of a 16km total), 23km on Wednesday, 8km recovery on Thursday, 18km on Friday, 12.8km on Saturday and then 34km on Sunday so that will be my biggest week at around 111km. Might do a slightly shorter tempo run on Tuesday depending on how I pull up after today and tomorrow's rest day. We have friends coming over for a BBQ before heading down to watch the fireworks so another day when some discipline on the beer drinking front will be required.

No comments: