"It's a treat being a runner, out in the world by yourself with not a soul to make you bad-tempered or tell you what to do." - Allan Sillitoe


Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Monday weigh in and Tuesday & Wednesday runs

Pleasantly surprised at Monday's weigh in (last week in brackets):
Weight: 76.6kg (78kgs)
Body Fat: 19.6% (21.2%)
Hydration: 55.2% (54.1%)

So everything is going in the right direction. Monday was a rest day although Ben, Sammie and I rode our bikes to the South Perth library to change our books over. I got out "Money" by Martin Amis which is a book I have wanted to read for a long time. "London Fields" and "The Information" are my two favourites along with the "The Rachel Papers".

Tuesday I ran 12km including 6 x 30-40 second pickups at about 3km pace.This was the first speed work that I have done since my disasterous outing in the Fremantle Half Marathon. Felt OK to the extent that I am not dreading my next speed workout.

Today I ran a very easy 9km. Weather was pretty awful, rained the whole way but thankfully wasn't too heavy but not very seasonal weather for December. I wore my heart rate monitor in an effort to keep my run very easy as from some of the reading I have been doing, I think I run too hard on my easy days. I really want to nail my key workouts so need to maximise my recovery between runs. I wanted to keep my heart rate in the low 130s or below and was able to average exactly 130 over the course of what was a 49 minute run (with 1 toilet break - bean casserole for tea last night ...). Noticed that it got up to 135-136bpm a couple of times but came down as soon as I eased off slightly. Got up to 152bpm on the hill just before home but it is a relatively steep one so that is to be expected.

Tomorrow I am going to run another 12km with a progression over the last 3km - going to run them at around 10km race pace including very hard up the final hill. Feel very good after today's easy run so am really looking forward to this workout tomorrow to get a gauge of where I am at.

No comments: