"It's a treat being a runner, out in the world by yourself with not a soul to make you bad-tempered or tell you what to do." - Allan Sillitoe


Sunday, March 13, 2011

Marathon training - week 4 inc PB @ Darlington Half Marathon

108.67 kms this week - that gives me 4 weeks in a row over 100km and 6 of the last 7 weeks.

No real speedwork this week - just some strides (10 x 100m on Monday and 4 x 100m on Saturday).

A couple of medium long runs 23k and 19k with the 23k one @ 4:22/km pace.

Surprised myself with a PB at the Darlington Half Marathon.  Having trained through this one with 82km during the week before the race, I had no great expectations – especially after feeling pretty average in the warm up.

Went out pretty conservatively because I knew what was coming at around 3km.  The hill was as bad as I remembered but I took it pretty easy so that I could run on over the top.

Just before we turned to head up the road and up the long hill, I was about 20-30m behind a group of five that included Epi and Big Kev.  I had about 500m to get onto that group before the hill started or I knew I would be running uphill and into the wind by myself.  I have done that a couple of times before in this race and it is not much fun.

Managed to get onto the group and sat in the pack until just after the drink station at around half way.  Unfortunately I got dropped before we got to the turnaround (which was past 11km due to the extra loop).  The continual uphill finally got to me and I think the group picked up the pace a bit too.


Just before the turnaround - with Epi running away into the distance


My legs are pretty trashed and I've been wearing Skins all day - just generally tired all over and I certainly know that I raced a half marathon today.

Great runs by Epi, sugar and Liam (2nd) and also Scott Thomson (3rd).  Good conditions at Boston should see Epi run a brilliant time – maybe even give Clown a run for his money ;-)

Pretty big week planned this week at around 127km including a 30 x 100m session on Friday.  




No comments: