"It's a treat being a runner, out in the world by yourself with not a soul to make you bad-tempered or tell you what to do." - Allan Sillitoe


Friday, January 14, 2011

Bali Report

Days run - 4

Kilometres run - 40

Books finished - 3 (Ben Cousins - My Life Story; Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows [finally!]; Haruki Murakami - What I think about when I think about running)

Fails (according to Ben) - 3 (Got ripped off on a Casio copy watch at a weak moment as I was coming up the beach after a run; Ordered a "gay" cocktail; Lost Sammie's elastic band helicopter after its light went out as I launched it on the beach at night)

Kids sick - 2 (Ben re-presented his lunch [a nice mix of noodles and red Fanta] on the street while Sammie waited until 11.30pm at night to bring up her spaghetti bolognaise in her bed)

Parents sick - 1 (Me - got a dose of Bali Belly which emptied my body of every ounce of fluid over a 24 hour period.  I waited too long to take something to stop it and it wiped me out pretty badly.  As a result of that and Sammie getting sick, I didn't run at all on the last four days we were there).

Despite three of us getting sick at different times, we still had an excellent holiday.  Went to Waterbom Park twice where Ben went on the newest scariest slide "The Climax" and Sammie went on every slide that she was tall enough to be allowed to go on.

Here is Ben doing the Climax.  The video doesn't really do it justice.  You get shut into a capsule and the bottom just drops away and you freefall down an almost vertical chute before flying a round and up a left hand bend and then out at the bottom.



Did a fair bit of shopping but was frustrated that every sports store had hundreds of running tops but very few shorts.  The only ones I found that I liked were in the Adidas store and they cost more than they do in Perth.

Lots of swimming and relaxing at the pool.  Very few mosquito or other bites.

It probably hasn't done me any harm to have a few days off and maybe even a bit of good but it doesn't feel that way at the moment after one day back running.  I have lost just over 1 kilo while were away but that was probably when I was sick.

Back to work on Monday :-(

No comments: