"It's a treat being a runner, out in the world by yourself with not a soul to make you bad-tempered or tell you what to do." - Allan Sillitoe


Saturday, September 12, 2009

On the way back

32.2km long run today.  2 hours 25 mins (4.30/km pace).  Would have liked to go quicker but given the week that I have had as well as the wind this morning, I'm OK with this run.

Right leg was fine today.  Stretching regularly yesterday obviously did the trick.  Some niggly issues with my left foot early on but they went away.  Probably nothing special or different from every other long run, I'm just extra sensitive to aches and pains at the moment.

Rib was a bit sore early but after around 40 mins I hardly felt it.  Reckon that might have been when the Nurofen Plus I took before the run kicked in.  I don't normally take anti-inflams before I run, but thought that if it took the "edge" off of my rib issues, I was probably less likely to be putting strain on my calf.  Don't know if that was the case but calf was fine and rib was too.

Pretty blowy out there which was annoying - where's the proper spring weather?  Makes it very hard to get a feel of where you are at when the wind is like that.

By the time I was in the last 4km, I was feeling pretty good about things so decided to run the last 4km at marathon pace.  Was able to get some splits from km markers from the Perth marathon (kms 37-39) being 4.06 and 4.00 so 8.06 for 2km which I am please with given that was after I had already run 28kms, the previous 10km of which had been into the wind.  The next few weeks are pretty important for determining what pace I will target for Rottnest.

Have recovered well from the run.  An article in the most recent Running Times talks about post workout nutrition.  The accepted wisdom on the glycogen window has been 30 mins but this latest article says that within 15mins is even better.  Based on my weight I need to get in at least 80gms of carbs as well as 20gms of protein within 15 mins of a hard workout.  A powerade, Masters Edge drink and a banana get me up to where I need to be.

I'm in a much better head space than I was a couple of days ago so with a bit of luck, I'll be close to 100% by mid next week.  I have found some bruising and swelling in a particulaly "sensitive" spot but it is not tender unless I touch it and it doesn't impact on my running so as far as I am concerned, it's not a problem.

Only 92kms this week but given everything that happened, I'll take that.

2 comments:

DC64 said...

Glad you had a good one; you're a tough bugger so I didn't expect expect your 'blue' period to last long. As you said, 92k with the week you've had is a pretty decent effort. Roll on Rotto!

Clown said...

Good week considering everything that went on, been some fun running in this weather, not. Hope the ribs and leg continue to improve.

Hate seeing the Pies in the Prelim, that's just not right