"It's a treat being a runner, out in the world by yourself with not a soul to make you bad-tempered or tell you what to do." - Allan Sillitoe


Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Starting to increase mileage

I'm starting to slowly lift my mileage over the next few weeks now that I am back to running 6 days a week.

Monday: 12.8km in 56 mins incorporating 8 x 100m or so strides of varying speeds (from 3km/5km to building to full pace) plus 2 x moderate increases to 10km pace (1x 400m, 1 x 800m) plus 2 x 8 sec hill sprints to finish. This was a pretty hard workout. Overall pace wasn't great but the many variations in pace had its effect. It was pretty cold when I headed out and until the sun came up my hands were freezing.

Tuesday 18.4km in 1 hour 24 minutes. Not as cold this morning but a stiff easterly made for hard going some of the way. Little bit sore in my left achilles, possibly overdid the speed stuff yesterday. Have popped a couple of Nurofen and rubbed some Voltaren gel into it. Easy recovery run tomorrow should help and I'll scale back my Thursday run to 12.8km (was thinking about 16km).

No comments: