"It's a treat being a runner, out in the world by yourself with not a soul to make you bad-tempered or tell you what to do." - Allan Sillitoe


Friday, May 8, 2009

Early morning enjoyable run today

Have continued running every second day since we got back last Friday (ie Sat, Mon, Wed, Friday). Last three runs have been my 12.7km loop around the bridges. Have run them between 56 and 58 minutes without keeping any sort of tab on time while running and has felt very easy every time.

This morning Pete came over for a 6.30am departure from my house. Really enjoyable conversational run. Pete has been running every second day for a while now and ran really easily this morning, whereas he struggled a little with the 16km run we did back in March.

Plan is to get back to running 6 days a week over the next fortnight including an 18.5km run late next week. We have booked accomodation for Rottnest marathon in October and while I haven't sat down to work out a training schedule yet, I am keen to keep my base mileage up at a reasonable level.

It's going to be hard to do much racing between now and then anyway as I am the coach of Ben's soccer with games being on Sunday mornings and clashing with all the Marathon Club races except those during school holidays (Perth Marathon Relay and King of the Mountain). Think I will skip the game on 30 August in order to run City to Surf but don't know yet whether I will run the 12km or the Half marathon. My current thinking is that trying to do a bit of speed work before I get into marathon training could be the way to go.

1 comment:

DC64 said...

See, I knew you didn't push yourself hard enough ;-) I think I'm a few weeks away from the phrase 'early morning enjoyable run'... glad you're getting back to it easily - running conditions are so nice at the moment, I'm jealous.