"It's a treat being a runner, out in the world by yourself with not a soul to make you bad-tempered or tell you what to do." - Allan Sillitoe


Sunday, July 4, 2010

PB at Gold Coast Marathon 2:55:35

Had a dream run - got into the 3hr pace group and hung in the pack which was going along at around 4.10/km after a slow start.  It was a pretty big pack and the course was a bit narrow in places.

Conditions at the start were perfect - about 7C, clear and no wind.  A southerly wind did kick up later on and was a headwind for the last 4-5km.

We went through halfway in 1:27:35 and I felt like I was cruising.  At around 23 or 24km I missed a drink station (I had taken something at nearly all of them until then) and as result came out the other side in front of the pack.  I decided that I would continue on at the same pace and see what happened.  I found that I actually sped up slightly and was making my way through the field in front of me.

I was feeling really strong and even ran a couple of kms (29 and 33 from memory at 4.02/km).  The trip out to the turnaround at Runaway Bay seemed to take forever and when we did turn we were heading back into a bit of a headwind.  The fact that I was still passing other runners and that I knew I was on track for a good time were sufficient motivation to keep me going though.  I was only passed by 3 runners (a pack of three at about 34km) after I broke away from the 3 hour pace group.

When I hit 40km in 2:46:30, I knew that sub 3 was well and truly in the bag and that if I could hold it together I would get close to 2:55.  Wasn't able to get under 2:55 though despite my best efforts but still absolutely ecstatic with the result.

Conditions were obviously favourable and it is a flat course but things still got tough in a few spots.  A couple of days beforehand, Sugar left me a message on Strands saying that when things got tough, just think back to the Choo Choo run and I'll remember that I can get through it.  "Choo Choo" became a bit of an internal mantra especially over the last 10km - so thanks Sugar!!

I would definitely recommend the Gold Coast Marathon.  It is a very well run event on a great course.  I went to the carbo loading lunch on the day before the race where we heard from Mona, Lee Troop, Jackie Gallagher and Rob De Castella - good food and good advice.

Here are my splits:

Five Kilometre Splits

5KM 00:21:14 04:14/km

10KM 00:20:45 00:42:11 04:09/km

15KM 00:20:29 01:02:40 04:05/km

20KM 00:20:34 01:23:15 04:06/km

25KM 00:20:33 01:43:48 04:06/km

30KM 00:20:36 02:04:24 04:07/km

35KM 00:20:36 02:25:01 04:07/km

40KM 00:21:28 02:46:30 04:17/km
Finish 00:09:15 02:55:45 04:12/km

Half Way Splits

Half Way 01:27:35 04:09/km

Finish 01:27:59 04:10/km

Had an ice bath (after a quick shower) when we got back to the apartment and then a bit of a snooze.  Also had a spa as my legs were feeling pretty trashed.  Feeling a bit better now after a couple of Nurofen and a big meal and my first 2 beers in a while.

Not sure when my next run will be - might go out with Rox tomorrow as a bit of a body check or might wait a few days as I have in the past.

2 comments:

Epi said...

Congrats B'Man

Well deserved for all the effort you put in.

Enjoy the afterglow!

trailblazer777 said...

Massive Congratulations! Outstanding!!!!

Breakaway from Monaghettis 3 hour pace group after a perfect start, and a PB, it doesnt get much better than that...Awesome!

Thought you were on track when I saw you tearing it up in the relay 2 weeks ago. Well deserved reward for staying focused through the scooter drama last year. Way to go!! Inspirational!!

Sounds like a pretty awesome pre race thing too with Mona, Deek, Troopy and Jackie all there, pretty much a whos who of some of the absolute best marathoners in Australia of all time, although I know Jackie was originally a triathlete, but in recent times I think shes done 6 foot track and some ultras...Pretty cool website. Might have to try and come do this one one year.

Enjoy the recovery time, and all the best with working out whats the next challenge.