"It's a treat being a runner, out in the world by yourself with not a soul to make you bad-tempered or tell you what to do." - Allan Sillitoe


Thursday, January 14, 2010

Happy Days!!

I've had a good week so far.  I did the extra kms on Monday at a slightly harder effort level (12.8km in 56 mins).  If I had to categorise this, I'd say "moderate".

On Tuesday, I did 4 x 4min hard with 4 mins jog recovery between.  Felt stronger on my last rep this week as I ran down a "target" in front of me.

Wednesday - easy recovery run, mostly on grass (8.4/km).

Thursday (today), I ran the same 8km tempo run as I did last week.  Met Clown down at Burswood and we set out together.  Despite the fact that we were doing a tempo run, we had a bit of a chat as we headed out over the first 4km.  Clown said that he was finding the pace a bit quick for him and encouraged me to run on ahead on the return 4km.  Managed to negative split slightly, even though I felt like I was running at quite a bit of a higher effort level than over the first 4km.  A good indicator I think of the benefit of running with someone else and the relaxation of having a chat as you run.

Splits as follows:
2km - 8.23 (was slightly late so more likely around 8.20)
4km - 16.44 (8.21-8.24 for second 2km)
5km - 20.52 (4.07)
6km - 25.09 (4.16 = 8.23 for third 2km)
8km - 33.25 (8.16 for last 2km).

33.25 was 42 secs faster then the same 8km I ran last week which is a pleasing improvement.  Clown and I ran on to the Causeway before Clown headed back to Burswood.  A very enjoyable run and one which we are both keen to repeat in the future.  Clown is running Boston this year and is recovering from an injury so we have plenty to talk about.

We took the kids to movies this afternoon.  Rox took Sammie to see Alvin and the Chipmunks while Ben and I saw Avatar in 3D.  Loved it - really immersed myself in it for the two and bit hours and even though  some of the plot was telegraphed it was a sensational experience.  The 3D wasn't intrusive or obvious as in movies like Journey to the Centre of the Earth.

Best of all, Reading beat Liverpool in the 3rd round of the FA Cup. We have had a dismal season thus far, sitting just above the relegation spots in the Championship and have already sacked our manager. This was a replay after we drew earlier and if the highlights are anything to go on, this game was similar in that we dominated and deserved to win. Enjoy these highlights - I know I did!!

[Video highlights of Liverpool v Reading now deleted. Can be found @ www.thefa.com]

Rest of the week for me is a recovery run tomorrow, long run Saturday and a long ride on Sunday. Think I will be going a bit further this Sunday out along the Freeway so my average pace should be a bit higher. I will need to get out early as it is forecast to be 41 on Sunday. Tour Down Under starts Sunday - looking forward to that especially as the cricket is looking like a bit of a one sided contest already.

For some reason, my blog hasn't been showing updates of the blogs I follow so I was bit late reading Epi's post about his knee surgery. Hopefully all will go well and he will revoer quickly enough to get his base up and do a solid blocck of training so that he can have en enjoyable run at Boston.

1 comment:

trailblazer777 said...

Big win for Reading! cool vid. some big wins in your training too. Way to go!