"It's a treat being a runner, out in the world by yourself with not a soul to make you bad-tempered or tell you what to do." - Allan Sillitoe


Monday, February 6, 2012

Reminder to self

“A lot of what we see in athletes that just train all the time and never give themselves adequate recovery is often portrayed as toughness. What I’ve realized over the years is it really is a weakness. It’s an insecurity that you’re not good enough to recover like other athletes: I’m not good enough to do that; I need to keep training; I can’t take time off; I can’t take easy days.” - Alberto Salazar

I am considering replacing the Nate Jenkins quote with this one, especially when I am not training for a marathon.

Last week was my first full week back since we got home.  77kms including the Friendship Run at Kings Park on Sunday when I ran with Dave "Sugar" Cane.  We planned to run 4:25/km and have a chat along the way but we actually ran 4:05/km even though we did chat the whole race.  It became a bit of a progression run as it was a two lap course and we certainly ran a bit quicker on the second lap despite the hills.  It was nice to run a race for fun with absolutely no goal in mind whatsoever.

No comments: