"It's a treat being a runner, out in the world by yourself with not a soul to make you bad-tempered or tell you what to do." - Allan Sillitoe


Monday, September 12, 2011

Good news update and 800m and 1500m videos from Rieti

I have waited so long now that I am over the City to Surf and the fact that I didn't run as quick as I had hoped I would.

Thank you to everyone who donated via Team World Vision. We raised $632, well over the $500 target. I'm sure our donations will save lives if they haven't already so thanks again.

At the end of the day, I ran as best as I could. This must just have been where I was at that moment. A minute or so quicker than last year but 37 secs slower than 2009.


Struggled on the hills and looking at my splits, most of the minute more that I ran was on the hills on Oceanic Drive as well as the hill on Underwood. I expected to slow down but not by that much.


Was on pace until about 6km and ran the pace I wanted to down Hay Street through Subiaco (3:34/km) even though Epi caught and then gapped me along that section. For some reason I ran shithouse thru Perry Lakes. I remember really struggling through here last year as well but I lost more time here for no apparent reason.


It is ironic that I knew that the hills were my weak point and that it why I did the session on Mount Street that lead to my hamstring issue and which impacted on the type of training I could do over the last few weeks. Hamstring was a bit tight but only really felt it once when it grabbed on a downhill so it didn’t impact on me much during the race.


Felt a bit old and slow on the day so looking forward to getting back into marathon training. 46:09 and 65th place overall (6th 40-49).

I have managed to keep my mileage up pretty much despite the hamstring issues. 94km the week of the City to Surf and I have picked it up since then with 120km and 122km over the past couple of weeks as an endurance base now I am just starting my 18 week marathon training program. I have taken it pretty easy on the speedwork to make sure that my hammie is OK with just a couple of tempo runs in that time.

This week will probably end up being around 130km. First workout of the program was this morning with a 19km medium long run with the last 6km at tempo pace.

Really happy with how this went as I was feeling like running under 3:50/km pace for the tempo section was going to be hard but I ended up running 3:44 average pace for the 6km tempo even with the last km back into the wind.

Pencilled in my marathon program last night and it includes a pretty decent increase in mileage on the last marathon cycle I did. I still need to finalise the specific endurance long runs (ie those with MP finishes or significant parts of it at MP). As soon as Ben and Sammie’s soccer has finished I will move my long runs to Sundays although I will do a 35km long run on Saturday 24 December rather than on Christmas Day!

Only problem is that I am not going to get in a half marathon tune up race as Ben’s team won their semi final (!!!) yesterday and the grand final is the same morning as the Freo Half. My back up plan was Melbourne Half but it has sold out. So looks like Deepwater Point 15km in November will be my main tune up race.

Ben had a great game. His team beat a team that they have been pretty even with this season (1 win, 1 loss, 1 draw) 7-1. It was 3-0 at half time. Ben set up the first goal with a great free kick from inside their own half.

The IAAF Grand Prix meet in Rieti the other night wasn't on Foxtel. It is always a great event for middle distance races. Here are videos of both the 800m and 1500m from Rieti - top fields in both events. Asbel Kiprop makes a world class field look very, very ordinary.





No comments: