"It's a treat being a runner, out in the world by yourself with not a soul to make you bad-tempered or tell you what to do." - Allan Sillitoe


Thursday, November 19, 2009

The road back

Went to the physio last night and came away feeling very positive.  The problem I am currently experiencing is being caused by scar tissue (probably from the needling done to promote healing of my ITB issue).  The lump of scar tissue is quite noticeable and that is what is causing the straining, pulling feeling above my knee.

As well as some quite painful, deep massage of the tendon in an effort to break down the scar tissue, Anna provided me with some glute and hip strengthening exercises that I need to do.  I am allowed to run and cycle but stay off hills.  Ice after exercise and also stretching and self massage including with the foam roller into the sore spot.  I think I'll get the cricket ball in there too.  Back to the physio again next Tuesday.

As a result, I was able to go for my first run for 2 weeks this morning.  Just ran down to Mends Street and back so approx 6km.  Felt slow and heavy but I'll take that over not running any day. 

Ran into Sugar, Kim and Sas at Mends Street.  Looked like Sugar and Sas were doing some barefoot strides after a run.  Had a quick chat before heading off again as didn't want to stiffen up.  Got rained on while running home but couldn't care less as at least I was out running again.

I think I'll give tomorrow a miss and go for a decent bike ride on Saturday morning.  In the meantime, I'll be getting stuck into that scar tissue.  It was only 6km but I feel like a runner again already!

2 comments:

DC64 said...

Great to see you back out there ; yep, barefoot drills time, courtesy of my new 'coach' John Kappler - core work as well. Aargh.

trailblazer777 said...

sounds good...well done on the 6k, sure feels good when you have not been able to run for a while...The bike rides should keep the aerobic base pretty much intact...and you could be firing on all cylinders again, with not much momentum lost by early 2010 by the sounds if you do the right things...way to go.