"It's a treat being a runner, out in the world by yourself with not a soul to make you bad-tempered or tell you what to do." - Allan Sillitoe


Monday, November 2, 2009

32km on Saturday

Yes, I did 32km on Saturday morning ... however it was on my bike. I wanted to do something relatively hard and long but it would have been unwise to run long so went for the bike instead. I used my 1 tonne mountain bike with knobbly tyres so it was a decent workout, much more than I would have got if I had gone on my road bike (which needs a bit of work in any case). It was quite windy and I pushed reasonably hard so felt like I got something out of it.

On Friday morning, I ran 8.4km easy by myself. Knee felt OK without being brilliant hence my extra caution on Saturday. In my head I had pencilled in 12.8km easy for Saturday but I just didn't feel confident.

I took Sunday off and on Sunday evening watched the New York City Marathon. It started an hour later than I expected because daylight saving kicked in on the States on Saturday night so it made for a late finish (1am). Worth staying up for though as both the Men's and Women's races were good contests into the final miles. Really pleased to see Meb Keflezighi win the men's race topping off a great comeback from some really serious injuries and great to see Robert Cheruiyot after a couple of pretty average ones this year (thought it was very average that he wasn't introduced at the start in the elite introductions. 4 times winner at Boston, once at Chicago should be enough for an intro in my book).

Planned an easy run for this morning (Monday) but slept in and gave it a miss. Planning to do some 2km repeats tomorrow (Tuesday)morning so the extra days rest on my knee was probably a good thing.

No comments: